Sandra's love for creating beautiful garments for all women, go hand in hand with her love for making delicious food for her friends and family. Food and cooking were always firmly rooted in her rich Italian culture and upbringing. If she wasn't working alongside her dad in the family manufacturing warehouse in Fitzroy, she was in the kitchen with her mum cooking treasured family recipes.
One of her specialties and a crowd favourite amongst the team at Alessandra HQ is her famous Eggplant Parmigiana!
1. Cut the eggplant into 15mm thick slices
2. Lay flat and gently sprinkle salt over the eggplant. This helps to remove true bitter moisture.
3. Pat dry with a tea towel to help remove the rest of the moisture.
4. Shallow fry the eggplant in a pan with oil then drain and set aside.
5. Begin making your favourite Napoli sauce using fresh tomatoes.
6. Boil the tomatoes in a pot until the skins split.
7. Moulin the tomatoes.
"I love using my gorgeous mums things when cooking! This is her moulin, a golden oldie! - Circa 1970."
Or use one of your favourites ready to go!
8. Just add basil, garlic, salt and anything else you fancy to the Napoli!
9. Simply layer the cooked eggplant and Napoli sauce.
10. Top with Panko bread crumbs (and a little salt or chilli powder.) Then bake for 30 minutes at 180 degrees.
11. To finish serve it with your favourite bread.